January 1st starts off a New Year full of potential and promise – let us help!
January approaches and with it the expectation and pressure of turning a new leaf and creating new habits. We see it here at the store; business slows as people commit to less drinking and more physical activity. The hardest part of forming new habits is changing your environment and your triggers (ie what makes you not do the thing(s) you are trying to do). The second hardest part is not giving up completely after a slip-up or two.
Let us do our part in helping you achieve new goals with some helpful tips and zero-calorie drink recipes:
- A quick and easy way to drink less: commit to drink a full glass of water between each drink. Not only does this slow you down, you’ll stay hydrated and fight a hangover before it starts.
- If you are invited to a dinner party or gathering at a friend’s house bring your own beverages.
- If you think it will be a challenge to watch friends drink while you don’t, pick up some non-alcoholic beer. Otherwise stick to sparkling or soda water with fresh lemon, lime, or a squeeze of a zero-cal ‘drink enhancer’ (like Crystal Light or Dasani brands).
- If you are more inclined to get healthy but are not necessarily aiming to reduce your alcohol consumption, here are a few low-calorie drink ideas to help you reduce calorie intake and reach your fitness goals:
- If you’re at a restaurant, order a gin or vodka soda. Ask for them to add any fresh basil or mint, fruit, and a splash or two of bitters. Makes for sophisticated drinking!
- How about a Hot Toddy? Whiskey, hot water, lemon, and honey will warm your nose and toes but also slow down your drinking – we consume hot drinks much slower.
- Can’t kick the soda habit? Ask for a splash of your favorite mix in your [insert liquor choice]-and-soda. You’ll cut the sugar but keep the taste.
- Opt for juice. Although this might not cut the sugar content of the drink, fruit juice contains vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that boost your health.
- Try low/zero-cal mixed drinks like Socialite (our favorite is the mango!)
Wishing you all the health and happiness in the coming new year!
For all your liquor and spirit needs head to Urban Liquor Store in Kelowna, open Monday – Sunday 9AM – 11PM.